HOW TO START A BLOG
This is so cool you’ve decided to have your small corner of the internet with That Pretty Face. The initial setup process can be frustrating and scary. We are here to help! This article will help guide you through the basics. Okay! Let’s do this!
PLAN YOUR BLOG
Many things might come to mind when planning your website. Here is a few items and ideas we would suggest you think of first.
- What is your main goal with your website?
- Who do you want to visit your site?
- How to you want to showcase your blog or business?
- Do you planning on selling a product?
Be detailed about the things you want for your blog or business. The more details the easier it is for a designer to help you creative what you imagine. It will also be easier for you to deliver the experience you want your readers to have.
Create Your Brand Identity
Be sure to create a strong and easy to remember branding image. Short and catchy names will help with this:
- What is the main message in your branding?
- What do you imagine your brand to look like?
Use the planning method to look into how you would like your design to be:
- Which logo style would communicate your brand? Watercolour, Animals, Cakes, or something simple?
- Choose a font style and a color palette that will suit your logo needs. You can always order a logo set here or have one custom designed by us.
BASICS FOR BUILDING YOUR SITE
Secure your domain name and hosting
A domain name is the place that houses your website; it’s like an address to a house. Your hosting is the home you live in and it keeps all the goodies like your wordpress set up, images, and more there. Here is a few pointers when setting up domain names and hosting.
- Be sure to make your domain name short and sweet. Easy to remember is the big rule of thumb!
- Hosting is all about what fits your needs. Most can do a simple hosting plan and move to a wordpress managed plan when the time comes.
You may purchase your domain name and hosting from the same company or you can purchase them separate. That’s up to you. We purchase our domain names at Namecheap.com. For hosting we suggest Dreamhost with a shared plan when starting out. If you are a larger blogger looking to move and set up a new design we suggest the VPS or Dreampress Manage WordPress hosting.
Use the one-click WordPress installation as this will allow to upgrade in hosting easily with hosting company in the future. Here is a step by step wiki on how to install the one click install on Dreamhost.
Choose Your Theme
While their is plenty of free WordPress themes out there we suggest you use a premium theme. We also suggest picking a theme that is compatible with Genesis for more functionality. The benefits of purchasing a premium theme may include more functionality of the theme, cleaner design, and custom information on how the theme works.
Here is a few places we like to use themes from:
Install & Setup Your Theme
Once you purchase a theme you can either follow the support directions or come here and hire us to set it all up. We can install and customize your site for you. More information is on the Services page.
LAUNCH YOUR WEBSITE
Now’s you’ve made to the launch day. Now it’s time to tell the world about your blog or business! Here is a few way to get rolling!
- Create a social media accounts and post your content and others content frequently. Get social!
- Join in groups on Facebook with similar interests. Don’t forget to use hashtags especially on Instagram!
- Start with your friends and family. Ask them to like and share. It will give you the starting boost you need.
- Comment on similar sites. This will usually get them to give comments back.
- If you are starting a business look into Facebook ads, Pinterest ads, and Twitter ads. Think affiliate marketing too.
- Run a giveaway. This is a great way to get more people to your social channels and your blog or business.
- Freebies! Everyone loves a free items. It’s a great way to market your business or blog.
NOW YOUR FINISHED
It’s not as hard as it seems! So what are you waiting for. Get out their and get your own little corner of the web! Promote and have fun.
Disclaimer: A few of the links above are affiliate links. We earn commission off others purchases. We only suggest the sites we would use our self with brand we trust to treat you right.